Here you go! I like the simple white background with just the logo better but I guess it could be worse.
A YouTube flash ad in Japan shows this image that clearly gives you the release date of December 17 2009 which has since been confirmed by Square Enix at an event, along with the price of ¥8,800.
Now let’s hope it comes soon after to our Western shores. At the same event Yoichi Wada mentioned the “international” version would come out in Spring 2010.
For the release of SaGa 2: Goddess of Destiny on the DS Square Enix announced a special edition bundle of the DSi which will cost ¥24,880 ($265).
No plans to release this in the US for now sadly.
We hear it all the time, the Japanese market is in trouble, the PS3 is outselling the Wii in the Land of the Rising Sun and so on and so forth. Obviously I’m not denying any of these things but one thing is for sure, the Japanese people play games and they will play games.
The thing is they play differents games than us and some games that are sure sells there are not here, or at least to a very lesser degree. And games like Modern Warfare or GTA never sell well there. It’s all in the eye of the Beholder.
But I’m rambling, the bottom line is that when a new DraQue is released in Japan, fans line up and line up they did. Square Enix sold 2.34 million copies of the game in the first two days which may or may not surprise you.
The last game, Dragon Quest VIII, sold 2.23 in the first two days. The question remains as to how it will fare in the long run. Current record holder is Dragon Quest VII for the PSX which sold 4.1 units over time.
And time, will tell.
In this post I will post everything that impressed me that didn’t come from the Big 3 conferences. So this includes EA, UbiSoft and of course the various booths throughout the floor.
Let’s dive right in!
Star Wars: The Old Republic
OMG!!!!!! As soon as i saw all the Jedi walk in I knew it. But still the trailer blew me away. It is as high quality as a Blizzard trailer would be and that is the biggest praise I can give it. Watch and rewatch it!
The Secret of Monkey Island – Special Edition
Yes Yes Yes!! This looks and sounds amazing!!!!!! I’m a huge LucasArts and adventure games fan so this is just amazing. The instant switch between classic and special edition is truly impressive
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Sweet trailer. I loved the first one and have been expecting this ever since so this is great news!
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Sequel to FF IV available through nine episodes on WiiWare
Castlevania: Lord of Shadows
Amazing trailer!! Potentially a great 3D Castlevania at last. Kojima Productions is working on it. It looks really polished and the gameplay looks nice.
Academy of Champions
This trailer caught my eye. I’m not a big sports fan but I like the Harry Potter meets Captain Tsubasa feel of the game.
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Another Warhammer 40,000 another great trailer! And this game is an action-RPG so it’s more up my alley.
Here we go I knew it was coming! Square Enix has put out a lame statement today saying that chances are the game would only have English dub in the U.S.
The problem seems to be that there is not enough space on a 360 DVD. Something I can understand even though Lost Odyssey didn’t seem to have any issues but let’s accept it. The problem is that they seem to use this as a lame excuse to not even bother with the dual voices on the PS3.
Yoshinori Kitase, producer on the game, said “Obviously, when we talk about XIII it’s for PS3 and Xbox — with PS3 being on Blu-ray there would be enough memory, but on Xbox probably not. At the moment we’re thinking of releasing the voice in English only. Are there many people who would like to play with Japanese voices?”
Yes there are!!! I for one will not rush to buy the game if it’s only in English. Shame on the RPG giant for putting less effort into games than Nippon Ichi and Atlus.
N.B: I had written this a while ago but just realized it had never published so here you go.
Tales of Hearts Screens
The next Tales of, set to come out on the Nintendo DS, will be released on December 11 in Japan. An interesting aspect of the game is that it will be available in two different versions. One will have CG cinematics like many RPGs since Final Fantasy VII came out, the other will stay true to the series and feature anime cutscenes.
Tecmo Blows Square-Enix Off, Tangos with Koei
Last week Square-Enix made a $200M bid for Tecmo (Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive…) with a September 4 deadline. Yesterday Tecmo rejected the RPG giant’s offer and announced it was in talks with Koei (Dinasty Warriors, Kessen…).
No financial details of the potential merger were published yet.
Far Cry 2 Collector Details
The very nice edition will feature a ‘making of’ DVD, an art book, a map of the game world and a limited edition T-shirt. all this wrapped up in a nice wooden box.
The game is coming out on October 21 in North America and October 24 in Europe.
Dead Space Ban Trifecta
The upcoming Electronic Arts space shooter has been banned in Germany, China and Japan according to EA community manager Ben Swanson. While China is expected and Germany has had some recent mayhem surrounding video game ratings, Japan is outright suprising and not understandable.
Why the country that has created Resident Evil, Fatal Frame and Silent Hill is banning an FPS is beyond me.
Disgaea Spin-Off on PSP
Set for release on November 20 in Japan Prinny: Ore ga Shyujinkou de Iinsuka will be a side-scrolling platformer based in the famous world of the Nippon Ichi franchise. In it you will play as one of the famous penguins from the series which will be on a quest for Etna’s sweets which have been stolen, lest he faces her wrath!
Let’s hope this sees an American release. Check out the trailer here.
Dates, Dates and Dates
- Call of Duty: World at War confirmed November 11
- Sacred 2: Fallen Angel PC version was postponed to coincide with console launch on November 7
- White Knight Story (still alive!) as been confirmed by Famitsu for December 11 in Japan
- Dead Space console release moved forward to October 14, PC version still set for October 20
Aside from the conferences there where obviously several trailers, gameplay footage videos and more being shown at the summit. And since some conference were somewhat lacking on the game front I’m going to share what so far has gotten me most excited.
Best Trailers of E3:
- Star Ocean – The Last Hope. This one looks really really nice and has got me much more excited than Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery.
- Dawn of War II. I’m not really a Strategy fan but this trailer is very nice.
- I Am Alive. Now this trailer took me by surprise and wow! of course this could translate into a nice game or complete crap with a 50/50 chance. But the trailer is sweet.
- Singularity. Looks promising, we’ll have to keep an eye on this one.
Now we all know trailers in the end….don’t mean anything, a great trailer can precede a great game and a crappy one. Likewise with a bad trailer. So I want to share what I’ve seen so far that has gotten me really pumped! either entirely new or something announced previously that I though was “OK” but now looks freaking amazing (I’m looking at you Prince of Persia!)
Best Excitement of E3:
- Prince of Persia!! When Ubisoft unveiled the new PoP with the new design my main thought was “why not”. It looked nice but didn’t appeal to me much more than this. Now this demo looks amazing! the design is sumptuous, the gameplay looks fun and engaging without being frustrating, it’s open world…
- Braid. An XBLA title that looks really nice and reminds me of what games ought to strive to be: fun! again it looks challenging without being frustrating. the Graphics are completely charming and the gameplay looks very fun and intuitive. The game should be comprised of 5 stages with 4 levels in each stage.
- Far Cry 2. Looks might sweet! The graphics look amazing and that’s on the 360!! Very impressive. One aspect that has me excited also is that they dropped the whole mutant/alien gig and now it’s entirely human enemies! Yes!
- The Force Unleashed. It already looks great but it keeps getting better and better. Sweet timeline, sweet Lightsaber grip, awesome physics and now sweet lightsaber/force hold/lightning combo, character leveling and lightsaber customization a la KotOR… I can’t wait!
- Lego Batman. Yay! I’m a huge Batman fan so I’m very excited about this game. Seems to bring all the goodness of the Lego games with the roster of the Batman universe, the gritty feel of Gotham, the insane feel of the Joker funhouse and a soundtrack by Danny Elfman!!!
I will add more as I come across them.
Special thanks to GameSpot for their awesome Stage Demo feature which I discovered during last year’s E3 (or Entertainment for All Expo, whatever)