E3 2009: Sony Press Conference
Damn it is nice to end on a good note! Sony’s press conference once again delivers. Bear in mind I’m no fanboy, I love my PSX and PS2 like anyone else and I think the PS3 is a good console picking up steam. I also own an Xbox and a 360 and a Wii and a GameCube and a DS. I’m a gamer and that’s it.
But now that I’ve seen all of the Big 3 conferences I come out with the same feeling I did last year: Sony tops the show, but not by much. What makes Sony’s conferences so nice is that there are very stylish, they are pro without being pompous or boring (see the Hannah Montana announcements) and they have games. MicroSoft is always close being with usually a bit more games but in terms of the conference itself they fall just a little short. And then, of course, there’s Nintendo, our beloved Nintendo, which has given us cringe-worthy conferences back to back.
But this is about Sony who reminded us nicely that the PlayStation came out 15 years ago… I know right?
Mantra: One Vision
One of the big ‘news’ today that was not software related was the PSP Go! which as Jack Tretton put it is “the worst kept secret of E3“. As a result nothing really new was said on the technical side. It will have 16G of flash memory with possible extension, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth.
Jack made a point to say that the all-digital console would not replace current PSPs and that all games will be available digitally as well as in UMD format.
They also unveiled Media Go which is an app allowing you to access the PS Store directly from your PC. The PS Store will have new content partners including Showtime and Manga Entertainment.
The PSP Go1 will be available on October 1st for $249.99. No price drop of previous versions was announced.
The other big news was Sony’s motion controller. It was unveiled by Richard Marx, creator of the Eye Toy and is in essence a WiiMote but with a twist or two. First of all it seems to be color-coded so for instance if you waggle the controller while it’s red it will throw a fireball, if it were blue it would be an ice ball. Second and most important it looked very VERY precise during the demo, precise enough to actually write smoothly with.
It’s important to keep in mind that, like Natal, this is still a project in development (this is set to launch in 2010) so neither the design nor the technology is final. both technologies are very impressive and promising but for now Sony’s seem more game-ready.
It will certainly be exciting to see where this goes in the future.
Now let’s move on to the games. Sony had prepared 2 videos featuring all the upcoming games for PSP and PS3 and they also announced 50 PlayStation games coming to the PS Store this year starting with Final Fantasy VII available today! But they also had some more in-depth trailers and demos for several games.
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Sweet gameplay demo with lots of destruction and flying objects everywhere. Awesome dialogue as well.
- MAG. Live demo of a game session involving 256 players at once! seemed very complex but interesting. There appeared to be a very slight lag in the gameplay though.
- Gran Turismo PSP. it will be in full 60FPSas shown in the trailer and will feature 800 cars and 35 tracks with 60 variations. You can play with 4 players and will be able to trade cars with others.
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Ah now that’s a trailer! Unlike yesterday’s lackluster Rising trailer this one was great. This a “true sequel of the franchise” not a spin-off and the MGS4 team is developing, Kojima will write the script and produce. The game will take place in the 70s, ten years after MGS3. It is due in 2010.
- Resident Evil Portable. Not much was revealed except that it will be a complete new game.
- Agent. A new Rockstar property that will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and will be set in the late 1970s.
- Assassin’s Creed II. Awesome demo and great trailer! you will not start out as an assassin but will become with the help of people like Leonardo da Vinci! You will have more diversity and more options available to you. Double Headed Blade! The game will be out the Holiday season along with Bloodlines for the PSP. Out November 17.
- Final Fantasy XIII. A new great trailer but with so-so dubbing, not bad but not great either. i’m still on my knees for Japanese VO.
- Final Fantasy XIV. Wow now that was unexpected. The trailer reveals that it’s actually an MMO and so a spiritual sequel to FF XI. The game will be exclusive to PS3.
- Mod Nation Racers. The new game in the Play, Create, Share line. It is a fun kart game with more adult graphics. The very impressive demo showed the track creation tools which offer tons of options and can be tried instantly.
- The Last Guardian. Otherwise known as Project Trico. The trailer was a gorgeous graphical update of the one we saw a few weeks ago, though a few scenes were added at the end.
- Gran Turismo 5. A decent trailer shows WRC and Nascar but not much else was revealed as usual.
- God of War III. An amazing demo!! Brutal ,bloody, gorgeous. The game is the final chapter of the trilogy. Coming March 2010.
June 2, 2009 - Posted by nostalgeek | Industry News, PS3 News, PSP News, Video Game News | Agent, Assassin's Creed II, Final Fantasy VII, Final fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, god of war III, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo PSP, Hannah Montana, Jack Tretton, mag, Manga Entertainment, Media Go, Metal Gear Solid, Mod Nation Racers, Motion Controller, Natal, One Vision, Peace Walker, PSP Go!, Resident Evil Portable, Richard Marx, Showtime, sony, Sony Press Conference, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 2 Among Thieves
No comments yet.
Check in and Listen to whatever I'm playing.
inFAMOUS - PS3
Fallout 3 - 360
Ace Attorney: Justice For All - DS
- July 2010 (1)
- November 2009 (5)
- October 2009 (2)
- September 2009 (12)
- August 2009 (12)
- July 2009 (20)
- June 2009 (9)
- May 2009 (20)
- April 2009 (28)
- March 2009 (10)
- February 2009 (2)
- January 2009 (1)
- December 2008 (10)
- November 2008 (23)
- October 2008 (12)
- September 2008 (4)
- August 2008 (18)
- July 2008 (18)
nostalgeek on Minor DLC for Dead Space coupon code on Minor DLC for Dead Space nostalgeek on Minor DLC for Dead Space #KM6 garcinia cambog… on Minor DLC for Dead Space nostalgeek on The Cover Project + Universal…
Game Related Sites
Video Game Developers
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.