Today at 10:30am PST E3 officially launched with the Microsoft press conference. It feature several announcements, some big and some small, some exciting, some yawn-inducing. But overall I think it was a good conference.
Mantra: Showing Not Telling.
NB: Keep in my mind that I will add/update links as HD videos pop up on the web.
The big announcement of the conference was Project Natal. The long speculated camera with movement recognition. It turns out it will also feature facial and voice recognition.
They really pushed it with appearances from Steven Spielberg and Peter Molyneux but it was a mixed bag.
The lame painting demo, though somewhat fun gave me the same feeling as Wii Music last year. Completely gimmicky and useless. Not precise enough to be used in games. The Ricochet demo, likewise, was fun in the sense that the girl who did the demo after 5 minutes seemed ready to jump into the shower. So what of hour long sessions…..
The whole Lionhead demo is also bittersweet. On the one hand the demo itself is sad! Following on the whole new stuff for Live, now you don’t need to press a button with Natal voice recognition, you don’t need to see your friends because you have Facebook and Twitter everywhere and with Milo you don’t even need a friend! Sad really.
But on the other hand if you look past the presentation itself. What it offers in terms of new technology, when harnessed, could be amazing in games. Imaging being in Resident Evil 5 and instead of having to go through ammo inventory management hell, you would just say “give my shotgun ammo” and ..voila! Truly an amazing potential that has yet to be developed.
It is after all still a ‘project’ so let us give them the benefit of the doubt.
In other none-straight-game-related stuff, Microsoft announced new partnerships:
- Last.fm which will allow access to the famous music site. In addition people with gold subscriptions will have access to it all for free. This feels like this year’s Netflix deal.
- Facebook. This a a pretty big thing if it’s exclusive but all in all it allows you to do what you already do on your PC and Blackberry from your 360. YAY lazy.
- Twitter. Same as Facebook, nothing to add.
- Sky TV in the UK which will allow you to watch live TV.
- All videos will now be available instantly in 1080p. Nice but I’ll believe it when I see it.
The announcements most of the people who may read my blog (however few) are interested in are the games. On that front I thought Microsoft did pretty well so let’s dive in.
- The Beatles Rock Band. Paul, Ringo and Yoko! Pretty big PR. Check out the amazing game intro. All You Need Is Love is a 360 exclusive and I am so getting this game! I don’t own it yet and the Beatles guitars look awesome. Out 09-09-09!
- Modern Warfare 2. They showed the long trailer that came out last week but they also had a gameplay demo in the snow with blizzard weather and snowmobile that was awesome!
- Final Fantasy XIII. It was basically the Japanese demo of the English version with English voices. I’m still praying for VO in the game though. They unveiled Odin which was cool. It’s set to release in Spring 2010.
- Splinter Cell: Conviction. They showed a very nice demo and trailer. The game looks darker and features some new stuff like an EMP grenade and ‘Mark and Execute’ which allows you to sort of set a sequence and get it going for a fast kill.
- Left 4 Dead 2. Featured a great trailer and a release date for October of this year.
- Halo 3: ODST. Another sweet trailer, Bukcle up and prepare to drop! Some gameplay footage in New Mombasa as the Rookie. The game will have a flashback systema nd you will play several ODSTs to build up the plot.
- Halo: Reach. Unveiling of the game. Set around the time of the novel ‘Fall of Reach’ which was a prequel to the game. No surprise another nice trailer. Set to release in 2010 and there will be a beta access with ODST.
- Alan Wake. At last!!!! A very nice footage of the game. Walking around at night with a tryst flashlight. It reminded my a lot of Alone in the Dark on the DC. You seem to be facing ghost which are neutralized with a sort of EMP weapon. The game is coming out Spring 2010.
- Forza Motorsport 3. A short trailer and a live demo showing the different views with the head vision going left and right. A new very deep costumization and video editing system for Live. Release date set for October.
- Metal Gear Solid: Rising. and HERE. WE. GO. After Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy Sony lost the Metal Gear exclusive. Aside from this the whole thign was fairly poor. Same trailer we’ve been teased with for weeks (and the countdown hadn’t even reached zero!). Even though it’s called Metal Gear SOLID it Kojima made a point to say it doesn’t feature Solid Snake but Raiden as we knew.
- Shadow Complex. New Epic Game for XBLA. was unveiled through massive sound problem so we didn’t hear a bunch of stuff. The animation looks a lot like Bionic Commando Rearmed and the map is reminiscent of Metroid/Castlevania.
- Crackdown 2. Featured a nice trailer but that’s about it.
- Brutal Legend. Tim Schaeffer detailed some of the voice work and characters in the game with a fun trailer. Included are Ozzy Osbourne, Motorhead’s Lemmy Killmeister, Lita Ford and more. Still coming out Rocktober!
- Tony Hawk Ride. unveiled the final design for the skate peripheral as well as a basic trailer. nothing thrilling.
- Joy Ride. A sort of Mario Kart with your Avatars in the cars. But it’s free so there’s really nothing to complain about. Could be fun.
June 1, 2009 Posted by nostalgeek | 360 News, Industry News, PC News, Video Game News | alan wake, brutal legend, Crackdown 2, Facebook, Final fantasy XIII, Forza Motorsport 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, Joy Ride, last.fm, Left 4 Dead 2, lionhead, Metal Gear Solid Rising, MicroSoft Press Conference, Milo, Modern Warfare 2, Paul McCartney, peter molyneux, Project Natal, Ringo Starr, Shadow Complex, Sky TV, splinter cell conviction, Steven Spielberg, The Beatles Rock Band, Tony Hawk Ride, twitter, Yoko Ono | Leave a comment
Check in and Listen to whatever I'm playing.
inFAMOUS - PS3
Fallout 3 - 360
Ace Attorney: Justice For All - DS
- July 2010 (1)
- November 2009 (5)
- October 2009 (2)
- September 2009 (12)
- August 2009 (12)
- July 2009 (20)
- June 2009 (9)
- May 2009 (20)
- April 2009 (28)
- March 2009 (10)
- February 2009 (2)
- January 2009 (1)
- December 2008 (10)
- November 2008 (23)
- October 2008 (12)
- September 2008 (4)
- August 2008 (18)
- July 2008 (18)
nostalgeek on Minor DLC for Dead Space coupon code on Minor DLC for Dead Space nostalgeek on Minor DLC for Dead Space #KM6 garcinia cambog… on Minor DLC for Dead Space nostalgeek on The Cover Project + Universal…
Game Related Sites
Video Game Developers