Since the Game Convention started in Leipzig today there’s a lot of stuff to cover so I’m going to summarize the most noteworthy announcements and link the best trailers only in HD.
Basically this is your one-stop Leipzig newsdesk.
- New PSP 3000 will come out on October 15 and feature a better screen and built-in mic for $199
- PS3 160G Hard Drive on October for $499, the 80G one will replace the current 40G
- New 160G PS3 Uncharted Bundle featuring game, dualshock 3 and PAIN voucher for $499
- EA is going to tackle Tennis games on Wii in 2009 taking advantage of the Wii Motion Plus
- Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts will be released November 14 for $40
- Fallout 3 will come out October 28 in North America and October 31 in Europe
- Suikoden Tierkreis is a DS title
- Chrono Trigger on the DS will come out November 25
- The Sims 3 worldwide release February 20, 2009
Noteworthy Trailers and Footage:
- Shattered Horizons Trailer – Very Nice! great trailer
- Resident Evil 5 GC 2008 Trailer – Sweet! even better than before
- Shadow Harvest Trailer – Awful, Unappealing… Plain Bad
- FIFA Soccer 09 Debut Trailer – Very Nice, if you like soccer
- Bionic Commando GC 2008 Trailer – Promising. wait and see
- Dawn of War II GC 2008 Trailer – Freaking Amazing!! And I don’t even like RTS games
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Debut Teaser – Crap Music, OK Teaser. FIFA Vs. PES Round 1!
- Anno 1404 Debut Trailer – Really Nice. great game on the way
- Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Trailer – Sweet! E3 trailer in high quality
- Captain Blood GC 2008 Trailer – Looks Fun, could be a nice game
- Necro Vision GC 2008 Trailer – Gory, Gory and WTF?!
- Jumpgate Evolution GC 2008 Trailer – Very Nice! just my type of genre
- Red Alert 3 GC 2008 Trailer – Pure Epic! George Takei FTW!
- Prince of Persia Lengthy Footage – Voice Work OK. Still looks gorgeous and amazing
- Mad World GC 2008 Trailer – Very Original. The more I see the more intrigued i get
- Heavy Rain GC 2008 Trailer – Finally!! cam but very steady, can’t wait!
Aside from the conferences there where obviously several trailers, gameplay footage videos and more being shown at the summit. And since some conference were somewhat lacking on the game front I’m going to share what so far has gotten me most excited.
Best Trailers of E3:
- Star Ocean – The Last Hope. This one looks really really nice and has got me much more excited than Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery.
- Dawn of War II. I’m not really a Strategy fan but this trailer is very nice.
- I Am Alive. Now this trailer took me by surprise and wow! of course this could translate into a nice game or complete crap with a 50/50 chance. But the trailer is sweet.
- Singularity. Looks promising, we’ll have to keep an eye on this one.
Now we all know trailers in the end….don’t mean anything, a great trailer can precede a great game and a crappy one. Likewise with a bad trailer. So I want to share what I’ve seen so far that has gotten me really pumped! either entirely new or something announced previously that I though was “OK” but now looks freaking amazing (I’m looking at you Prince of Persia!)
Best Excitement of E3:
- Prince of Persia!! When Ubisoft unveiled the new PoP with the new design my main thought was “why not”. It looked nice but didn’t appeal to me much more than this. Now this demo looks amazing! the design is sumptuous, the gameplay looks fun and engaging without being frustrating, it’s open world…
- Braid. An XBLA title that looks really nice and reminds me of what games ought to strive to be: fun! again it looks challenging without being frustrating. the Graphics are completely charming and the gameplay looks very fun and intuitive. The game should be comprised of 5 stages with 4 levels in each stage.
- Far Cry 2. Looks might sweet! The graphics look amazing and that’s on the 360!! Very impressive. One aspect that has me excited also is that they dropped the whole mutant/alien gig and now it’s entirely human enemies! Yes!
- The Force Unleashed. It already looks great but it keeps getting better and better. Sweet timeline, sweet Lightsaber grip, awesome physics and now sweet lightsaber/force hold/lightning combo, character leveling and lightsaber customization a la KotOR… I can’t wait!
- Lego Batman. Yay! I’m a huge Batman fan so I’m very excited about this game. Seems to bring all the goodness of the Lego games with the roster of the Batman universe, the gritty feel of Gotham, the insane feel of the Joker funhouse and a soundtrack by Danny Elfman!!!
I will add more as I come across them.
Special thanks to GameSpot for their awesome Stage Demo feature which I discovered during last year’s E3 (or Entertainment for All Expo, whatever)