While you won’t play as Niko Bellic he will make some cameo appearances throughout the add-on. Dan Houser, said that he didn’t want to give the plot away but that Johnny is a very different person and character than Niko and that players will see Liberty City in a very different light.
Meanwhile the screenshots remind me a lot of the FX show Sons of Anarchy (I just watched the last episode which was great by the way) and this can certainly allow for some lovely language and action scenes.
Sam Houser also mentioned that there will be two episodes and that “We hope fans of the game enjoy the new way of experiencing life in Liberty City contained in this first episode.”
So far no price has been given but it’ll be interesting to compare sales of the add-on to those of Street Fighter IV which comes out the same day.
Viva Piñata 2 4-Way Online Coop?
Rare released some of the Achievements for the game and among these was “Full House” which requires you to play online with 4 people in cooperation for at least an hour. How this coop mode will work however remains to be seen.
AMD Teams With Blizzard
The chipset manufacturer announced today that Blizzard Entertainment has allowed them to bundle their games with all ATI video cards. AMD is also the exclusive graphic sponsor to the upcoming BlizzCon 2008 which will take place on October 10-11 in Anaheim, CA.
Parents Would Prefer Their Kids Drunk Than Playing Video Games…
*Sigh*… So a survey conducted by What They Play, a parental advisory website, shows that parents would basically rather have their kids smashed on beer than playing GTA IV.
The survey asked 1,600 persons what they were most afraid their kids would indulge in while at a sleepover. here are the replies:
- 49% Smoking Marijuana
- 19% Playing GTA
- 16% Watching Porn
- 14% Drinking Beer
Furthermore in a previous survey conducted in April they asked 1,266 participants what offended them most in video games, here are the replies:
- 37% A man and a woman having sex
- 27% Two men kissing
- 25% A graphically severed head
- 9% Multiple uses of the F-Word
First of all I’ll skip the sheer open-mindedness of these people who would rather watch people butcher each other instead of having two gays kissing and I know the source implies that these people have no, or very little, clue about what video games are but are people really that stupid??
As far as I can remember I became sexually aware around 12 and have played video games since I was 6 (granted, the realism isn’t on the same level) and I’m certainly not a model of virtue but I’m still able to remember that a game is…a game! shocker!
It’s funny how every new ‘medium’ that arises bring with it a slew of ignorants who would rather ban than try to understand. First it was Christianity, then it was Protestants, then it was the age of reason, then came raunchy books, then came movies which talked about important subjects such as abortion (OH NO!) and then came Rock and Roll, and now we have video games.
To think that these people will vote in November scares me to death.
Batman: Arkham Asylum Announced
OK back to reality, Game Informer said that Eidos and Rocksteady are currently working on a new game featuring the Dark Knight. It seems the game may be an FPS set at least partly in the infamous asylum and will feature the Joker and several other villains.
Batman games havne’t had a great reputation since the 8bits and 16bits era (exception made of the LEGO game) but Paul Dini (one of the main honchos behind the great Batman: The Animated Series) is cowriting on the game so this may be one to watch.
This morning Nintendo held their press conference and amongst all the smiles there were several interesting tidbits.
- Animal Crossing: City Folks was confirmed for the Wii with the Wii Speak feature announced. It will allow you to gather and chat with your friends in game while you partake in activities like fishing. The features sounds fun and the game looks really nice.
- One of the big announcements at the conference was the Wii Motion Plus, which is a somewhat small square piece of hardware that you plug in the back of your Wiimote and enhances the sensitivity of the sensors. It looks quite promising but we’ll have the wait for more tests to be sure.
- The release date of November 2 2008 for Pokemon Ranger on DS was announced and GTA Chinatown Wars was announced also for the DS (but no release date).
- Wii Sports Resort was announced as well as Wii Music. Sports looks like an extension of the original so nothing special. Wii Music on the other hand looks interesting. In Miyamoto fashion it seems very intuitive and you basically just press buttons any way you want to produce seemingly pre-recorded music. While it looks fun and easy to use, the novelty effect might wear off quickly if the music database is lacking so we’ll wait for more details.
All in all, I thought the Nintendo conference was a bit underwhelming. No big announcement (where is Kid Icarus??). There were a few forced joked which fell flat and a few uneasy silent after “big” announcements (like in the Microsoft Conference). Hopefully the Wiimote extension, Animal Crossing and Wii Music will deliver.
You can watch the full coverage of the conference here.