Alright guys. I’m leaving for about two weeks to France for a bunch of weddings.
I’ll be back in July. Have fun!
While Max Payne 3 is being developed we are, as best as I can put it, cautiously hopeful. The game looks very different and developed by a new company so there is worry. But we shall wait until we actually play the game to pass final judgment.
If all else fails there is one game that could carry the torch. Necessary Force looks to be this game. I just discovered the debut trailer and it looks very promising.
The setting is very noir, looks to be set in a New York type town, featuring a gritty detective and even the music sounds very similar. It looks great and I will keep an eye on this one.
The issue being that is is developed by Newcastle, a Midway UK branch, who may go under soon…. Let us pray people.
The Max Payne series was known for a few things. The Bullet Time, the dark gritty New York ambiance and Max’s voice…among other things.
But this time things are different. Max is old, he’s not in NY but in Sao Paulo, Bullet Time has been done to death…. and we just learned that he had an operation on his vocal cords.
Rockstar announced that the actor who voiced Max to perfection int he first two games, James McCaffrey, will not be returning. The main explanation is that Max is older and so his voice has changed and the actor needs to reflects this.
Now I get the idea but I don’t know about you, my mom’s voice hasn’t changed dramatically in the 29 years I’ve known her… But let’s give them that.
What worries me is that Rockstar’s art director Rob Nelson stated that “All the Max Payne themes will remain intact – manipulation, betrayal, and the stuff that really made Max Payne“. But that’s not it! What Made Max Payne Max Payne was the noir ambiance, the NY setting, the moody soundtrack and of course Max’s thoughts being voiced by James McCaffrey.
I fear Rockstar will not be able to capture the feeling that Remedy gave to the series. But I will wait and hope.
Game Informer once again scores big, after Halo 3: Recon, Uncharted 2, God of War III, BioShock 2, Assassin’s Creed II and Modern Warfare 2 (Phew!) it’s now time for our favorite gritty cop (sorry Vic Mackey) to take center stage.
Taken from the cover story of their last issue we get the first few details of Rockstar‘s Max Payne 3.
- Max is bald (as we can see)
- He has become addicted to Pain Killers which will affect gameplay in some way
- The game will take place 10 years after The Fall of Max Payne
- It will take place in Sao Paolo with urban battles in the slums
- There will be Bullet-Time but it will be more violent
- There will be a night/day cycle
- You can destroy environments
- The game uses the RAGE engine (GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption)
- There will be a multiplayer mode
The E3 mayhem is over so I can take a breather but that doesn’t mean that another sweet trailer didn’t just come to my attention.
Said trailer came out about a month ago but I only heard of the game while reading the latest issue of Play (Bayonetta cover) last night.
The game looks really interesting. The first thing you’ll notice is the art style which is gorgeous and obviously reminiscent of The Curse of Monkey Island but much darker.
The game will be an action RPG and you will travel the great sea to discover new islands but the developers have said they want this travel to be a very dangerous endeavor where you will have to face hard weather, sea monsters and more.
The team at Titmouse Games said the game was a mix between Fable and Wind Waker with a darker tone.
In any case I’m keeping an eye on this one because I love the art style and I love pirates and ocean exploration sounds great.
I don’t know what it is. Is it my skewed view? Is it that we have loved Big N for so long that we expect nothing short of perfect from him? Is it that we are being too harsh? or Is it that the Nintendo Press Conference was really disappointing?
Whatever the case may be the conference left me with mixed feelings. I was mostly boring and there were some announcements that can only be seen as a joke (I’ll get to that). But there were also some good and a few great announcements no matter how jaded we may have become.
Mantra: Everyone’s Game
NB: Keep in my mind that I will add/update links as HD videos pop up on the web.
A bulk of the conference was spent crunching numbers and explaining why Wii is #1 and such. It was boring to a fault. MicroSoft got it right with there “Showing Not Telling” philosophy.
Nintendo talked a lot about there Wii Motion Plus with some more gameplay from Wii Sports Resort (Archery and Basketball) and while we are all excited about this addon (aside from the attached rubber case) the way Reggie Fils-Aime talked about it made me cringe. He said “you cannot SEE the difference” and quickly queued in a trailer which seemed ironic to me… He said “every mistake you would make in the real world will reflect in the game” but then how is this a game… and is Motion Plus really that precise??
I know and understand I am really nitpicking here but that’s what I’ve come to these past 2 years with Nintendo.
And for all my criticism I’m convinced that Wii Sports Resorts will be very fun to play! It is just there delivery that annoyed me. Cammie Dunaway I guess felt annoyed that everyone last year made fun of her lame jokes and so this year she was all business. And she looked it too. Not a smile and every sentenced delivered as if we were rebellious teenager who need to hear the truth but so sick of telling it that you’d rather walk away.
Again I may be over-analyzing but I really felt this way.
Anyway enough of this. There wasn’t any really big new hardware or partnership announcement (aside from the fact that pictures taken with your DSi can now be uploaded to Facebook) so let’s get on with the games.
- New Super Mario Bros.Wii. Fairly exciting looks very similar to the DS game playable with 4 players. Coming Holiday 2009. Here’s the trailer.
- Wii Fit Plus. It’s Wii Fit with new activities….YAWN! Cammie actually said “It’s Brain Age for your backside” and “it’s the game that will help the Wii stay at the top of mind“. Sad. It’s coming Fall 2009.
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story. A new game in the RPG series looks really cool with a trailer to boot. The game will come out on DS in Fall 2009.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2. Should be the biggest announcement of the day but it looks exactly like the original except you can play with Yoshi. Still it’s Mario and a nice trailer to go with it.
- Golden Sun. A new Golden Sun for the DS!!! This is all that’s know for now. Check out the nice trailer.
- Metroid: Other M. A new Metroid for the Wii!!!! Looks like a 3D platformer. Great trailer.
- Dead Space: Extraction. Nice trailer with great ambiance except for the sound glitch. Looks promising.
- Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles. Likewise looks promising. Nice trailer with some gameplay.
- The Conduit. The graphics look nice in the trailer but that’s about it. Nothing new.
- Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers. Not much is revealed in the trailer but it looks like there is some aiming/targeting involved.
- Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days. Showed a nice trailer and will be released on September 29.
- Wii Vitality Sensor. The daily joke. Iwata unveiled this new ‘game’ in the Brain Age, Wii Fit series. It looks ridiculous, it attaches to your finger and………reads your pulse. That’s it. Pathetic.
- Style Savvy. An import of Girl’s Mode in Japan. It’s a dress up game for teen girls. At least the music in the trailer is cool.
- Women’s Murder Club: Games of Passion. Based on the James Patterson novels the trailer shows the game which seems to be a mix between interactive novel and adventure game. It could turn out pretty fun.
- C.O.P.: The Recruit. Oh well, the trailer started out really nicely but then the game looks very average so wait and see.
- Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again. It will be available only through download on DSi Ware next week. Here’s the trailer.
In this post I will post everything that impressed me that didn’t come from the Big 3 conferences. So this includes EA, UbiSoft and of course the various booths throughout the floor.
Let’s dive right in!
Star Wars: The Old Republic
OMG!!!!!! As soon as i saw all the Jedi walk in I knew it. But still the trailer blew me away. It is as high quality as a Blizzard trailer would be and that is the biggest praise I can give it. Watch and rewatch it!
The Secret of Monkey Island – Special Edition
Yes Yes Yes!! This looks and sounds amazing!!!!!! I’m a huge LucasArts and adventure games fan so this is just amazing. The instant switch between classic and special edition is truly impressive
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Sweet trailer. I loved the first one and have been expecting this ever since so this is great news!
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Sequel to FF IV available through nine episodes on WiiWare
Castlevania: Lord of Shadows
Amazing trailer!! Potentially a great 3D Castlevania at last. Kojima Productions is working on it. It looks really polished and the gameplay looks nice.
Academy of Champions
This trailer caught my eye. I’m not a big sports fan but I like the Harry Potter meets Captain Tsubasa feel of the game.
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Another Warhammer 40,000 another great trailer! And this game is an action-RPG so it’s more up my alley.